Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Guys Calm Down, It is Just Beta

- - - - - beta calm guys

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Took me about 10 minutes to download and 3 or 4 to install. I was in-game within 15 minutes. I'm on an 8 meg cable connection.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
4hours check you connection spped make sure no one is stealing your bandwith

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
Kingdom Reborn should be renamed Kingdom The Same, because that is what it is. This is exactly how the Third Dawn expansion went, right down to the release. A lot of people playing UO today were probably not here for it. At least they didn't make people pay $6 this time to join the beta.

I don't think there is a single person who will argue that Kingdom Reborn was ready for release. Even the developers know, which is why they didn't give any advanced warning that this was the release date. Kingdom Reborn is probably 6 months away from being in a true release state if the developers spent every single moment on it. But they are now switching to Stygian Abyss which means fixes will be coming a lot slower.

PS - How are those new 3D models, opps, I mean new female models coming? =[

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Seems to happen with nearly every release

AOS was the same, even though that was a major code release, look how many serious bugs there were?
UOTD, as you mentioned, was the same

So this "Gold" release of UOKR, when it obviously needs more work, doesn't surprise me.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

PS - How are those new 3D models, opps, I mean new female models coming? =[

Supposedly a more feminine stance is in the works, according to the latest patch notes.

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
while i do agree the femine and male characters need to be diffrint they should try to work out the major kinks first instead of like you say majoring in the minors

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Warsong, what kind of computer are you using? My patch, using Roadrunner Cable from Timew WArner, took about 10-15 min to download, maybe 20 at most, and maybe 5 to install. Granted, I am using a 4-month old alienware, but still, I find it hard to beleive it took you THAT long...and someoen else said it took 4 hours? That is ridiculous, maybe a problem with the servers or something related to your route to them.

Well its not a top of the line model. I have had it for 3 years. Its a amd 64 3400 processor, with 2 gigs of DDR, 160 gig harddrive, WindowsXP. I only game on it, no work related items. And yes it took 4 hours to download from the ea link, I do not want/have cable connection. So I have a dsl from the phone company, it is way way faster than the dialup I was on 2 years ago. As far as the route to my server connection? I know that I am just a block away from the dsl hub in my area. Most of my neighbors do not even have a computer and the few that do, do not have a internet connection(those that do still have dial up) most are older citizens. As far as traces go or wahtever, I am not that tech savy. I use computer for entertainment, not really a tech head. I just like to log in and play.

And the patch yesterday which was what 375 megs took about 45 minutes to download and patch.

Anyone on dail up is completely screwed, maybe if they are just adding artwork to the client they need to think about making the patches smaller.
I doubt that I would continue to play if I was on dial up. In the end I got it downloaded( it never once stopped d/l or crashed), patched and installed.
Been played around with it since.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Supposedly a more feminine stance is in the works, according to the latest patch notes.

I am actually referring to the infamous 3D client model updates. They even showed a picture of what it would look like. But it never happened.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Lady Flame (DrR)

Lady Flame (DrR)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I'm finding KR way too bug ridden and laggy as well as not comfortable for my game style for me. I just hope they can pull something amazing out of the hat or I will not be going over to it. I also hope they rethink there idea of launching SA in KR graphics only, as that was the only thing left I was looking forward too.
Posted Image

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Lady Flame that is a two edged sword. If they do launch it for both clients. KR is doomed (*disclaimer:That is unless they do a fantastic job of fixing things quickly*) in my opinion. If they don't I don't see them selling a lot of expansion packs. Because 2D players will not be interested in buying something they can't access. Again this is just my opinion.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Stolencheese

Stolencheese

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
I'm updating the game although I hate the client so far, Just keeping it on and updated in case they actually fix it.

I really want the 2D models back and KR lags REALLY badly with my computer, So does 2D now for some reason. I do have Vista (Ultimate) if that makes any difference, heh.

Vista is :icon_king:.

(And don't even try to bad-mouth it if you don't have it, I heard rumours and winges but I absolutely love it!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
I will buy the expansion. Because I have faith that if EAMythic falls flat on their face and the KR client becomes a failure. They will just release the next expansion after SA to "fix" it for 2D players, just like what happened with the Thrid Dawn expansion then with LBR the next one.

Stolencheese

Stolencheese

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
Y'see guys.. Everything's under control.. It's just a sales plan by EA.. Yep... Those clever guys..

I think they call it the erm..

'Shock Tactic'?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted Image
"Please Calm Down, Everything is undercontrol, A patch will fix everything. There are no broken fountains in Sosaria."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stolencheese

Stolencheese

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted Image
"Please Calm Down, Everything is undercontrol, A patch will fix everything. There are no broken fountains in Sosaria."

And in the mists of EVERYTHING else that's wrong with KR, You pick Fountains?.. Greaaaat one ;P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

KR lags REALLY badly with my computer, So does 2D now for some reason. I do have Vista (Ultimate) if that makes any difference, heh.

Vista is :icon_king:.

I'm using Vista Business Edition (a step below Ultimate) and am having no problems with lag in KR. Quite the contrary, really - I'm playing KR by default now and enjoying it quite a bit. So I don't think Vista is the cause of your lag.

(I'm not on a very new computer either - decent specs, but several year old CPU and mainboard. AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2 gigs of ram, new video card - 512MB GeForce 7950GT).

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts

I have faith that if EAMythic falls flat on their face and the KR client becomes a failure.

If KR becomes a failure, I'm betting we can kiss UO goodbye. The dev team said in Chicago (and I believe them) that KR is the most significant financial investment EA has made in this game since its inception 10 years ago. If KR fails, I predict management will pull the plug on UO in favor of higher profit games.

Secondly - the dev team has already stated all over the place that the new expansion (Stygian Abyss) will only work with KR. It will NOT work with 2D. So if nobody plays KR, nobody can buy SA, and if nobody buys SA - you got it. Another nail in the coffin.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Yeah, I finally broke down and got KR.

It's not bad, it'll take some getting used to.

I think the manual that comes with it needs to be more thorough (kinda like all the help, hints, and tips everyone here has posted, BIG Thanks to all of you as I'll be re-reading all of that this weekend).

May actually be easier for newer players (ones that never touched 2D) to get used to because old habits are hard to break.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

If KR becomes a failure, I'm betting we can kiss UO goodbye. The dev team said in Chicago (and I believe them) that KR is the most significant financial investment EA has made in this game since its inception 10 years ago. If KR fails, I predict management will pull the plug on UO in favor of higher profit games.

Secondly - the dev team has already stated all over the place that the new expansion (Stygian Abyss) will only work with KR. It will NOT work with 2D. So if nobody plays KR, nobody can buy SA, and if nobody buys SA - you got it. Another nail in the coffin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup and they said the exact same thing with the Third Dawn expansion (you could only enter ilshenar with the 3D client) that lasted one whole expansion cause the very next one (Lord Blackthorn's Revenge) you could go to ilshenar in 2D.

As far as the most significant investment EA has made since launch? Well if I remember correctly LB mention the inital investment for it was $250,000. So even if they(EA) double or tripled the investment and gave it alittle boost, lets say $1 million dollars. What is that to a multi-Billion dollar company?

Besides I think that EA actually wants a piece of the online market now. That was the reason for the purchase of Mythic Entertainment, for the IP of Warhammer. By making this purchase, EA reduces its risk of its overall investment into the online market. And risk reduction/maximizing profits is really pleasing to the corporate suits that run EA and would not know a mmorpg from a hole in the wall.

Just look at how they (EA) has covered just about every type of online player since the Mythic purchase:

You have the pogo service(chats/traditional card & board games) for the casual/social type.

You have the sims online(Barbie's day out/Action figure ftw) for the social type.

You have Ultima Online for the lower end computer user (as long as the 2D client is running)

You have Dark Age of Camelot for the mid-range computer user

You have Warhammer Online for the high-range computer user (You think UO has fanbois? Try meeting some Warhammer ones)

So they pretty much cover the social gamer, causal gamer, and hard core gamer.

Even if KR does fail I know that many people will still play UO(I plan to play until either the shards shut down or I shut down :P) and while the suits would like to have more people playing = more dollars. They (EA) can accept some failure. Since UO has had about 75 to 100k paying accounts for the last few years, steady. Why would they kiss that revenue stream goodbye?

Now will it effect Darkscribe and the rest if it fails? Most likely since the new president of EA wants to simplify the command structure, to lay blame easier if something goes wrong.

And you know the old saying crap runs downhill, If KR fails we will likely see a new team (at least the producer(s) and others not actually involved in programing), And then the rest of the team will more than likely be reassign to Warhammer.

Which will most likely leave UO a few techs to maintain the servers, and a few artists/programers to push out anniversary editions for quick cash each year and bug fixes.

Stolencheese

Stolencheese

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

You have Warhammer Online for the high-range computer user (You think UO has fanbois? Try meeting some Warhammer ones)

OMG! I actually cannot wait for Warhammer Online, And TBH it won't need that good PC Specs. But it#s gonna shoot all over MMO's out of the water. Apart from one that you didn't mention:

DARKFALL ONLINE

How could you forget to mention this? Every role player's DREAM! *Drool*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta, calm, guys